Language of meal
Выполнил ученик 4В класса
МБОУ лицей №104 Титов Егор
Words for different meals
In the order that we eat them,
- breakfast is the meal that we have in the morning as the first meal of the day,
- lunch is what we eat in the middle of the day
- dinner is our evening meal.
What is dinner ?
- In the UK , ‘dinner’ - the meal that is eaten in the middle of the day
- In the US , ‘dinner’ can mean a large meal eaten in the middle of the day or in the evening
e.g. Sunday dinner, Christmas dinner or Thanksgiving dinner
- ‘ Tea’ is used especially if the meal is of a simple type, prepared for children, often eaten early in the evening.
(e.g.) Have the children had their tea?
- ‘ Tea’ may also refer to a small meal in the afternoon, in which tea is drunk and often a slice of cake eaten.
It has two meanings.
- ‘ Supper’ was used, especially in the past, to refer to a very small meal that was eaten before bed.
- Nowadays, it is sometimes used instead of ‘dinner’, meaning the main meal in the evening:
(e.g.) We’re having some friends
over for supper .
- Brunch is a meal sometimes eaten in the late morning that is breakfast and lunch combined, ‘br’ + ‘unch’.
- A snack is a very small meal, often eaten between meals or instead of a bigger meal
(e.g.) Let’s have a quick snack before we go.
Packed lunch/BOX lunch
- A packed lunch (also called a box lunch in the US) is a light meal that is put in a container to be taken and eaten somewhere else
(e.g.) He takes a packed lunch to school.
Buffet is a meal at which people can choose their food from a number of dishes on a table: a wedding buffet/a buffet-style breakfast.
Sit-down is a style of meal in which food is served to people who are sitting at a table.
Barbecue (BBQ) or Cookout
- A barbecue (in the UK) or cookout (in the US) is a meal prepared and eaten outside,, usually with a group of people.
Takeaway or takeout
- is a meal cooked and bought at a shop or restaurant but taken somewhere else, often home, to be eaten/
(e.g.) Let’s have Chinese takeout for dinner tonight.
We hope this post hasn’t made you feel too hungry!
- Thanks for your attention!