People nowadays are more health-conscious than they used to be. They understand that good health is above wealth. And it’s so true. The healthier we are, the better we feel. The better we feel, the longer we live.
Modern life is very chaotic and stressful. That’s why we should keep to a healthy lifestyle in order not to get depressed and not to feel bad.
So, today in the lesson we will:
● talk about health and healthy lifestyle;
● listen to Melanie talking about her visit to the doctor;
● put the knowledge into practice.
Health is the most important thing in our life. When you have good health, you can do a lot of things and turn many opportunities and dreams into reality.
– James, I would say that only when we feel well, we have energy and desire to live, work and study.
– Yes, I agree with you, Charles! That’s why I always wish all people good health. In my view, it’s the basis of the life.
– James, that’s very kind of you!
– Thank you! Guys, today we have a guest.
– It’s Mr. Stevenson. He’s a good doctor.
– Mr. Stevenson, what do we have to do to keep fit and stay healthy?
– Well… If you want to keep fit and stay healthy, you have to lead a healthy lifestyle. Many people all over the world spend many hours in the gym. However, a healthy lifestyle includes not only physical exercises but also many other things.
As I’ve already mentioned, a healthy lifestyle includes many different things. And they are:
Keeping regular hours
Avoiding bad habits
Getting plenty of rest and sleep
Breathing fresh air
Positive attitude to life
Now I would like to give you some health tips, which are connected with all these things.
1. You should eat healthy food!
Healthy food gives us lots of minerals and vitamins, which are good for our health. They help us to grow, make our teeth and bones strong and give us energy.
That’s why we should…
Eat whole grains instead of polished cereals.
Eat lots of vegetables and fruit.
Use less sugar and salt while cooking food.
Eat and drink dairy products.
Eat lean meats and poultry, fish and eggs.
Drink plenty of water.
2. You should do physical activities at least 30 minutes every day!
Spend more time outdoors and do activities such as walking, running, swimming, cycling and so on.
Among the benefits of regular physical activities are a healthier heart, stronger bones, quicker reaction times and less susceptibility to various illnesses.
If you want to stay healthy and keep fit, you can also go in for sports. For example, you can…
do karate and so on.
3. You should keep regular hours!
Keeping regular hours means that you go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. It helps to sleep better at night and makes it easier to wake up in the morning.
4. You should avoid bad habits!
It’s means that…
You shouldn’t smoke!
You shouldn’t drink alcohol!
You shouldn’t take drugs!
Smoking, for example, causes a number of heart and lung diseases. Besides, it makes your teeth yellow and skin unhealthy.
Drinking alcohol can lead to different health problems including heart or liver disease, cancer, mental health problems and so on.
Taking drugs can cause serious health problems. Drugs can damage the brain, heart and other important organs. They can also lead to early death.
Smoking, drinking and taking drugs are joined by less dangerous habits such as skipping meals, eating unhealthy food or even overeating.
5. You should get plenty of rest and sleep!
Taking a proper rest and getting enough sleep, from 8 to 10 hours daily, are also great healthy habits. Sleep and rest help our body and brain to repair and restore.
6. You should spend more time in the open air!
To be healthy it is also very important to spend a lot of time in the open air. It’s common knowledge that fresh air helps to digest food more effectively, improves blood pressure and heart rate, strengthens the immune system and reduces obesity rates. It is useful to go for a walk or to air the room before going to bed.
7. You should have a positive attitude to life!
A positive attitude brings optimism into your life and makes it easier to avoid worries and negative thinking. It also helps you to cope more easily with daily problems.
Guys, if you follow my health tips, it will help you to keep fit and stay healthy!
Match the two parts of the sentences!
Let’s check the right answers!
1. We should get plenty of rest and sleep, because… it helps our body and brain to repair and restore.
2. We should eat healthy food, because… it gives us lots of minerals and vitamins.
3. We should have a positive attitude to life, because… it helps us to cope more easily with daily problems.
4. We should do physical activities daily, because… it makes our bones stronger, helps our body to react faster, etc.
5. We should avoid bad habits, because… it can lead to such health problems as heart diseases, liver diseases, cancer and so on.
6. We should keep regular hours, because… it helps to sleep better at night and makes it easier to wake up in the morning.
7. We should spend more time in the open air, because… it helps to strengthen the immune system, improve blood pressure and heart rate, etc.
Good health is very important for every person. However, sometimes we get ill. In this case, we call a doctor. He comes and examines us, then diagnoses the illness and prescribes medicines. Sometimes we have to take additional tests or see another specialist.
If we want to get better, we must follow the doctor’s orders. This means taking pills, staying in bed for several days or exercising regularly. If we disobey the doctor, we may get worse or even die.
When the illness is serious, we are taken to the hospital in an ambulance. We must stay there until we get well.
Now, everyone, listen to Melanie. She would like to tell you about her visit to the doctor.
“Hi, guys! It’s winter now and it’s often cold. I really can’t stand the cold. So two weeks ago I suddenly fell ill. I had a high temperature, a running nose and a sore throat. I also had a headache and a cough. That’s why my mother told me to visit the doctor as fast as possible.
I got dressed and went to the policlinic. There the doctor examined my lungs and throat. Then he took my pulse and temperature. After that the doctor measured my blood pressure. Finally, he said that it was a light case of flu and told me to stay in bed and have complete rest. He wrote a prescription for some gargle and cough medicine. He also gave me a referral for X-ray and blood examination.
I followed all the doctor’s instructions and very soon I felt much better. I fully recovered in ten days and resumed my work.”
Guys, you’ve just listened to Melanie. Now I would like to check your knowledge and see how attentive you were.
Answer the questions!
1. What did Melanie suffer from?
The variants are:
a) She suffered from sharp toothache.
b) Melanie suffered from dust allergy.
c) She suffered from a light case of flu.
The right answer is:
2. What symptoms did Melanie have?
The variants are…
The right answers are:
A running nose
A high temperature
A sore throat
Put the actions of the doctor in the correct order!
Let’s check the right answer!
The doctor examined lungs and throat.
He took Melanie’s pulse and temperature.
The doctor measured her blood pressure.
He told her to stay in bed and have complete rest.
The doctor wrote a prescription for some medicine.
He gave her a referral for X-ray and blood examination.
That’s all for now! In conclusion, I would like to say that healthy people live longer, they are more successful and they enjoy their life. In my view, it’s not so difficult to lead a healthy lifestyle. If you do that, you will feel much better and you won’t need to visit a doctor!